What does DEJ mean?
The skin is the body’s largest organ. It plays a critical role in protecting the body from germs and regulating body temperature. From an aesthetic perspective, it is the organ that other individuals actually get to see. However, we all know that great-looking skin begins beneath the surface first. So, in this post, we’re going to talk about something called the dermal-epidermal junction or DEJ. We’ll find out why the dermal-epidermal junction (DEJ) is such a critical factor in skin aging. Finally, we will also explore some products that are specifically designed for this area within the skin.
Understanding Skin Layers
To understand the dermal-epidermal junction (DEJ), we need to first take a look at our skin under a microscope. Human skin is made of three layers – the epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis.
The top layer of skin is called the epidermis. It is made of cells that contain proteins like keratin as well as the pigment melanin, which gives our skin its color. The epidermis acts as a protective barrier and regenerates roughly every 30 days.
The middle layer of the skin is called the dermis. It contains proteins called collagen and elastin, which give the skin its resilience, elasticity, smoothness, and suppleness. Also present in the dermis are hair follicles, oil glands, sweat glands, blood vessels, and nerves.
The bottom layer of the skin is called the hypodermis (also called subcutaneous tissue). It is made of fat and connective tissue. The function of the hypodermis is to cushion the bones and muscles underneath and regulate temperature. The hypodermis contains larger blood vessels and nerves than the dermis.
What is DEJ in the skin?
DEJ, or the dermal-epidermal junction, is the interface between the epidermis and dermis. It is made up of keratinocytes (prominent cells in the epidermis) and dermal fibroblasts (prominent cells in the dermis). The DEJ contains dermal papillae or projections of the dermis that extend into the epidermis. It also contains rete ridges or projections of the epidermis that extend down into the dermis.
The DEJ is a vital zone in the skin that serves many important functions, such as:
- Providing mechanical support to the epidermis
- Tethering or anchoring the epidermis and dermis (holding them together)
- Protecting the skin against mechanical shear forces
- Maintaining the structural integrity of the skin
- Acting as a barrier and allowing the exchange of cells and fluid between the epidermis and dermis
- Controlling the cellular microenvironment of the skin
What changes occur in the DEJ with age?
First, the dermal papillae and rete ridges in the dermal-epidermal junction flatten in aging skin. Next, the composition of the DEJ changes with age, with the amount of collagen decreasing over time. Lastly, the keratinocytes in the DEJ of aged skin have a diminished potential to proliferate (multiply).
These age-related changes in the dermal-epidermal junction show that the DEJ is extremely significant in maintaining the skin’s structure and critical processes like skin regeneration.
What are products that help with the DEJ layer?
Revision Skincare launched an entire skincare line dedicated to targeting this specific region within the skin. DEJ Face Cream and DEJ Eye Cream are inspired by the dermal-epidermal junction (DEJ). They are designed to provide the same functions that the DEJ performs in young, healthy skin, including supporting the skin’s structure, enhancing the skin’s natural barrier, adding volume and plumping up the skin, and providing intense moisturization to give the skin a smoother texture.
Revision Skincare DEJ Face Cream is an all-in-one age-defying moisturizer that is inspired by the dermal-epidermal junction. It is designed to give your skin the critical support it needs to keep looking beautiful. This advanced skin-renewing moisturizer smoothens, lifts, and firms your skin and delivers clinically proven results in just 4 weeks. D-E-J Face Cream is suitable for all skin types and skin tones.
Revision Skincare DEJ Eye Cream is an advanced treatment for the eye area. This unique formula addresses crow’s feet lines and wrinkles, drooping or hooded eyelids, and crepiness under the eyes. It is an award-winning product and is a comprehensive eye treatment that targets the entire eye area. Inspired by the dermal-epidermal junction, the DEJ Eye Cream is designed to visibly smoothen and firm the eye area, reduce eyelid hooding and under-eye crepiness, and improve fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes.
What are the ingredients in Revision Skincare’s DEJ products?
Some of the key ingredients in DEJ Face Cream and DEJ Eye Cream include:
- Prebiotic and postbiotic ingredients like alpha glucan oligosaccharide and pseudoalteromonas ferment extract to balance the skin’s microbiome
- Antioxidants including vitamin C, coenzyme Q10, rosemary extract, and goji fruit extract to prevent damage from environmental stressors and toxins
- Intense hydrating and moisturizing ingredients like astragalus extract to restore volume and youthful suppleness and visibly brighten dull skin
- Peptides to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Ceramides replenish natural fatty acids and restore the natural moisture barrier that is lost due to aging
- Cooling cucumber fruit water to soothe and tighten the skin in the eye area
- A hydrating blend to attract and retain moisture in the eye area and give it a healthy, youthful appearance
What can DEJ Face Cream do for me?
DEJ Face Cream can turn back the clock and restore your skin to a more youthful appearance by:
- Visibly reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Improving your skin’s texture, radiance, and luminosity
- Plumping up sagging and thinning skin
- Providing a shield against sun damage
- Improving the skin’s natural moisture barrier
- Helping maintain a healthy neutral skin pH between 4.5 and 5.5
How to use DEJ Face Cream and DEJ Eye Cream?
You should apply DEJ Face Cream twice a day, in the morning and evening, after cleansing your skin and applying all your other skincare products. Dispense one or two pumps of the DEJ Face Cream into your palm and smooth it gently onto your face, avoiding the eye area.
The DEJ Eye Cream should be used twice a day by dispensing one pump and dotting the cream around the eye area. You should then gently massage the cream into the skin using the cooling metal applicator. Avoid direct eye contact with the cream.
As always, if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to our skincare team in our Skin for Life Boutique.
Other Articles You May Enjoy